Commercial Emergency Service
Shoveling is not the only emergency a business has to worry about in New England in January...
With New England Weather being so unpredictable, know that SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann will always be there for you in the middle of the bleakest storms and general emergencies that unfortunately happen at the worst of times. Our Production Team is trained with the latest technology to help mitigate quickly so that your business can get back up and running.
Snow, sleet, freezing rain, with burst pipes and sprinkler systems can really turn into a pain in your profit margin and always happens when you’re least expecting it. Our professionals happen to live and work in the local community, so we are always only a short drive away to get to you fast! SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann is on call 24/7 so that your emergency is seen to as fast as possible to make it feel “Like it never even happened." We also understand how important your business is to the local area and with your budgetary constraints in mind, we will provide the quickest and monetarily sound method possible.
We appreciate that manpower can be limited after the past couple of years, with every hour and every penny spent being crucial for a business to survive in such a tumultuous climate. Put your faith and business in the hands of those who have 50 years in the industry and the most up to date technology in the field. When you have a winter related emergency remember SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann is here for you.
Call us Today 978-927-8665
Commercial Water Damage
Water overflowing out of the Front door of Business
Water Damage can be the most devastating occurrence in the best of circumstances, but what if it happens during a global pandemic where majorly every business is shut down? One local business had this unfortunately happen to them in February 2021. A prominent private club on Beverly’s Rantoul St. suffered major water damage and SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann came to the rescue to help with the Water damage and reconstruction of the two-floor space that had multiple event spaces and a member’s bar area downstairs. With SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann’s 24hr. Emergency services the problem was stopped quickly, and a full restoration of the whole building could be completed.
Did You Know?
SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann not only can clean up from Water Damage, but also has a Contractor on site that can restore your business back to better than it originally was? That’s exactly why we want to do… make it “Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann is one of the best on the Northshore and are ready to help mitigate and restore your space back to its original glory.
Call us Today 978-927-8665
Winter House Fire Preparedness
This house fire could have been prevented...
There are so many ways that a house fire can be started during the winter months January and February. Most of these instances are usually preventable if proper precautions are met. SERVPRO of Beverly/ Cape Ann (978)927-8665 wants to always remind you to be wary of certain instances that can unfortunately lead to a housefire in the dead of winter.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), heating is the second leading cause of home fires following cooking. Taking simple steps can prevent a fire from happening in your home.
The National Fire Protection Association and USFA offer these heating safety tips, including:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from a fireplace, wood stove, or space heater.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel-burning space heaters
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
The US Fire Administration suggests:
- Replace all your smoke alarm batteries with new batteries yearly and test your alarms monthly.
- Clean your pipes and chimneys if you have not done so for this season
- If you heat with wood, "burn clean, not green": using properly seasoned wood is safer, producing less creosote, and provides more heat.
Home fires are now caused most frequently by candle use, and by placing combustible materials too close to heat sources. Be mindful of this! Never leave a room with a burning candle - always make sure it is out first. And always provide sufficient clearance around any heat source.
Of course, not everything can be prevented and when these things happen look for SERVPRO of Beverly/ Cape Ann (978)927-8665 to help clean up afterwards. We can help put everything back right “Like it never even happened.”
What’s Your Extinguisher Type?
In an emergency, a portable fire extinguisher can save lives and property when used to put out a small fire. However, when it comes to extinguishers, one type does not fit all. Did you know there are several types of fire extinguishers? Each one is designed to extinguish different kinds of fires:
- A: For use with materials like cloth, wood, and paper.
- A-B-C or B-C: Multi-purpose fire extinguishers best suited for home use. Most home improvement stores carry fire extinguishers that cover class A through class C.
- B: For use with combustible and flammable liquids like grease, gasoline, oil, and oil-based paints.
- C: For use with electrical equipment like appliances, tools, or other equipment that is plugged in.
- D: For use with flammable metals like aluminum, magnesium, and titanium; and
- K: For use with vegetable oils, animal oils, and fats in cooking appliances.
Before using an extinguisher, please keep in mind that the U. S. Fire Administration recommends that only people trained in the proper use and maintenance of fire extinguishers consider using them when appropriate. Contact your local fire department for training information.
Remember that SERVPRO of Beverly/ Cape Ann (978)927-8665 will always be there to help with our 24/7 Emergency Service!
Doing It Right the First Time
Problems can arise from the most unlikely places...
Accidents happen all the time. Especially in your home and business. Be it too much moisture that leads to a mold infestation; or when you decide to take that long awaited vacation that had to be held off because of the events of 2020 which leads to you returning to a foot of water in your living room from a burst pipe: or even a storm you forgot to prepare for earlier in the year that leads to a branch bursting through the front of your establishment SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann can help with the aftermath, the right way, the first time.
Our Production team is meticulously trained with credentials from the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) that holds them to the highest standards in the industry. With 50 plus years of experience, and constantly being trained in the new and most innovative ways to better eradicate the misfortunes that can fall upon every home or business owner, we are the leader in the field.
SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann Handles:
-Water Damage Remediation and Clean Up
-Storm Damage Remediation and Clean Up
-Fire Damage Remediation and Clean Up
-Mold Remediation and Clean Up
After the initial scope of the project and estimate; our team will set up, complete the correct testing, and get everything “back to normal” quickly and efficiently. The reason it might seem that the set up might take a long time is that we at SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann wants to make sure it is done correctly the first time so that you don’t have to have the same problem come up over and over.
Our team is always here for you 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to cover any type of mishap that always seems to happen in the dead of night or on the weekends. SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann always has your back when it comes to preparedness and the essentials when dealing with a disaster. Just call us today at (978) 927-8665
Prepare Before the Winter Storm Season
During a winter storm, remember to stay out of the way of plows so they can clear streets for emergency vehicle access.
Winter storms create a higher risk of car accidents, hypothermia, frostbite, carbon monoxide poisoning, and heart attacks from overexertion. Winter storms including blizzards can bring extreme cold, freezing rain, snow, ice, and high winds. Before New England gets inundated with a heavy stormy winter, make sure you are ready so SERVPRO® of Beverly/Cape Ann doesn’t have to come save you from those unfortunate incidents that come along with freezing temps and extreme weather.
- Pay attention to weather reports and warnings of freezing weather and winter storms.
- Listen for emergency information and alerts.
- Check on Older/ Elderly Adults that might need some extra help.
- Sign up for your community’s warning system. The Emergency Alert System (EAS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radioalso provide emergency alerts.
- Prepare your home to keep out the cold with insulation, caulking and weather stripping. Learn how to keep pipes from freezing.
- Install and test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors with battery backups.
- Gather supplies in case you need to stay home for several days without power. Keep in mind each person’s specific needs, including medication. Remember the needs of your pets.
- Have extra batteries for radios and flashlights. If you are unable to afford your heating costs, weatherization, or energy-related home repairs, contact the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)for help.
Stay Safe During Winter Weather
- Stay off roads if, at all, possible. If trapped in your car, then stay inside.
- Limit your time outside. If you need to go outside, then wear layers of warm clothing. Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia.
- Reduce the risk of a heart attack by avoiding overexertion when shoveling snow and walking in the snow.
These tips can help keep you prepared in case of a big storm does hit the Northshore area and when they do remember that SERVPRO® of Beverly/Cape Ann is always on-call 24 hours a day and our dedicated professionals are ready for all your storm related emergencies call us at (978) 927-8665
Holiday Cooking Fire Hazards
When deep frying a turkey goes wrong...
As the Holiday season is quickly approaching SERVPRO® of Beverly/Cape Ann would like to help keep your celebrating free of a hot smokey disaster. Emergencies do happen and we can have your back if anything goes awry.
According to National Fire Protection Association the average number of reported residential building fires on Thanksgiving Day was more than double (2.3 times more) the average number of fires in residential buildings on all other days. The average losses for these fires, however, were less than the same measures for non-Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings. What causes such an uptick in these residential fires? Cooking.
Cooking was, by far, the leading cause of all Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings at 74% followed by heating at 8%. By comparison, cooking was the cause of 51% of residential building fires that occurred on all days of the year other than Thanksgiving. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Here are some tips to help avoid and incident while cooking for your feast:
“Cook with Caution”
- Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains — away from your stovetop.
If you have a small (grease) cooking fire and decide to fight the fire...
- On the stovetop, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- When in any doubt of fighting a small fire: Call 911 and proceed to leave the house.
For 24/7 assistance with fire or smoke damage restoration, be sure to contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Beverly/ Cape Ann (978)927-8665.
Over half (54%) of Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings occurred from 10 a.m. throughout the evening. This stands in contrast to the rest of the year when residential building fires peaked during “normal” dinnertime hours of 5 to 8 p.m. (Source: NFIRS 5.0). A common way that these fires are also happening are from deep frying a turkey. Deep frying a turkey might seem like a great way to change up your cooking game, but before you invest in that Cadillac of a turkey fryer, check out some of the hazards:
- Turkey fryers can tip easily and spilling hot oil across a large area.
- An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is put in.
- A partially frozen turkey will cause cooking oil to splatter when you put it in the cooking pot.
- Without thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire.
- The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handles can get dangerously hot.
If you do decide to deep fry your poultry remember that you increase the risk of a coking fire. Keep in mind the potential dangers of deep frying a turkey:
- Use your turkey fryer only outside on a sturdy, level surface well away from things that can burn.
- Determine the right amount of cooking oil needed by first placing the turkey in the pot with water.
- Make sure your turkey is COMPLETELY thawed before you fry it.
- Check the temperature often with an appropriate thermometer frequently so the oil won’t overheat.
- Use long cooking gloves that protect hands and arms when you handle the pot, lid and handles of the turkey fryer.
Thanksgiving is about coming together with family and friends and celebrating, don’t let a little thing like a house fire ruin the rest of the Holiday season! Play it safe and for 24/7 assistance with fire or smoke damage restoration, be sure to contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Beverly/ Cape Ann (978)927-8665. Making fire and smoke damage "Like it never even happened."
Fire Odor In Your Essex County Home or Business?
Even a small fire can cause odors for years to come if the affected areas are not properly cleaned and deodorized. Fire, smoke and soot damage in your home or business can create unpleasant and potentially permanent problems.
As various materials burn, the smoke produced travels throughout the structure, leaving odorous residues and deposits on surfaces and in hard to reach places. Unless fast, professional action is taken, these residues and deposits can cause permanent damage to contents and may result in resurfacing odors.
SERVPRO® of Beverly/Cape Ann can provide specialized services that rid your home or business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. Any restorable item in affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized, including: furniture, draperies and upholstery, electronics, art, flooring, walls, ceilings, HVAC air ducts, and more.
SERVPRO® of Beverly/Cape Ann does not cover up lingering odors with a fragrance, they seek out and remove the sources of the odor. Ask your SERVPRO® representative to explain the various deodorization methods available and which will work best for you.
If you or a customer suffer a fire damage or some other accident and require deodorization services please visit our website or contact SERVPRO® of Beverly/Cape Ann at 978-927-8665. Whether it's fire, water or mold damage, or just a stubborn odor that refuses to go away, we'll make it "Like it never even happened."
About SERVPRO® Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO® Franchise System is a leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO’s professional services network of more than 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss events. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO® System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.
Common Causes of Household Fires
Experiencing a fire in your home or commercial property can be a significantly traumatic event. As a local provider of fire & smoke restoration services, we at SERVPRO of Beverly/ Cape Ann have assisted in the cleanup of fire damage resulting from a variety of different causes. Here are a few of the leading causes of house fires according to the National Fire Protection Association:
1. Cooking Fires-Specifically, unattended cooking. Be sure to check the items you're cooking regularly, keep any items that could catch fire away from the stove top or open flame, and stay alert: if you're sleep or have consumed alcohol, do not use stove or stove top.
2. Heating Related Fires- Be sure to check out our other blogs regarding home heating safety. Half of home heating fires take place during December, January, and February.
3. Electrical Fires- May is National Electrical Safety Month which is meant to raise awareness of potential home electrical hazards and the importance of electrical safety as well as the safety of electrical workers.
4. Smoking Related Fires- In 2014, it was reported that smoking materials such as cigarettes, cigars, and pipes caused over 17,000 home structure fires in the United States.
5. Candle Related Fires- There were reportedly over 7,600 home related structure fires in the U.S. between 2014-2018. On average, 21 home candle fires are reported each day.
For more information regarding causes and prevention of home structure fires, be sure to visit the website of the National Fire Prevention Association.
For 24/7 assistance with fire or smoke damage restoration, be sure to contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Beverly/ Cape Ann (978)927-8665. Making fire and smoke damage "Like it never even happened."
Halloween Safety Tips
- Be bright at night – wear retro-reflective tape on costumes and treat buckets to improve visibility to motorists and others.
- Wear disguises that don’t obstruct vision, and avoid facemasks. Instead, use nontoxic face paint. Also, watch the length of billowy costumes to help avoid tripping.
- Ensure any props are flexible and blunt-tipped to avoid injury from tripping or horseplay.
- Carry a flashlight containing fresh batteries, and place it facedown in the treat bucket to free up one hand. Never shine it into the eyes of oncoming drivers.
- Stay on sidewalks and avoid walking in streets if possible.
- If there are no sidewalks, walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic.
- Look both ways and listen for traffic before crossing the street.
- Cross streets only at the corner, and never cross between parked vehicles or mid-block.
- Trick-or-treat in a group if someone older cannot go with you.
- Tell your parents where you are going.
- Ensure an adult or older, responsible youth is available to supervise children under age 12.
- Plan and discuss the route your trick-or-treaters will follow.
- Instruct children to travel only in familiar areas and along established routes.
- Teach children to stop only at well-lit houses and to never to enter a stranger’s home or garage.
- Establish a time for children to return home.
- Tell children not to eat any treats until they get home.
- Review trick-or-treating safety precautions, including pedestrian and traffic safety rules.
- Make sure Halloween costumes are flame-retardant and visible with retro-reflective material.
- Slow down in residential neighborhoods and obey all traffic signs and signals. Drive at least 5 mph below the posted speed limit to give yourself extra time to react to children who may dart into the street.
- Watch for children walking on roadways, medians and curbs. In dark costumes, they’ll be harder to see at night.
- Look for children crossing the street. They may not be paying attention to traffic and cross the street mid-block or between parked cars.
- Carefully enter and exit driveways and alleys.
- Turn on your headlights to make yourself more visible – even in the daylight.
- Broaden your scanning by looking for children left and right into yards and front porches.
Do You Have an Emergency Ready Plan Set In Place?
It is stated that about 50% of commercial business who run into a disaster never re-open after that disaster occurred. SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann wants to help more business stay in business after an emergency happens and be there for support when needed.
SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann established an Emergency Disaster Program so that when a disaster comes, you will have a blanket of security in times of panic. This is a detailed description of where to go, when to act and who you can call. An emergency ready profile is vital for your commercial business because a disaster could happen at any moment, and SERVPRO wants to help prepare our customers for any disaster that may come your way. The ERP, or emergency ready profile is a profile that will have all the necessary information you need to handle situations with disasters. No contracts are involved, and it is at no cost to you or your business. We locate all the emergency numbers you may need and emergency action checklist for a step by step on what to do in a disaster. We also have provided the necessary utility shut off locations for all the gas, electric, heat, water, and other important locations to know and understand how to turn them off. This is vital because in case of emergencies and panic, you may not know how to even shut off the source, which is important because the source needs to be shut off before any action can be done. It will also give you a complete property overview, showing where emergency exits are and where exactly you should leave the property when evacuating.
Time is of the essence in cases of emergency, so it is important to act fast to eliminate anymore disaster from occurring. By having a plan of action, you can readily be prepared and act in a timely manner and limit the amount of time you as a company are inactive. Not only does the ERP save you time, but money as well. We obtain all your insurance information, so you have it readily available at your convenience as a mobile app also. We have detailed an insurance policy information in your pamphlet to inform our customers what their policy is and what is covered by insurance. It is important to keep in mind, safety first and to account for everyone in the building and make sure everyone is okay before moving on. Things get crazy and hectic, and emotions run high when a disaster occurs, so SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann wants to make this as easy as possible for our customers because we understand the hardships you might be going through at that moment. We can offer you all the services in the world to clean up the damage, but the best service we can offer is helping you be prepared.
SERVPRO wants the best for our customers, and we know the best for them is the Emergency Ready Profile. SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann always has your back when it comes to preparedness and the essentials when dealing with a disaster. Just call us today at (978) 927-8665