Common Causes of Household Fires
Experiencing a fire in your home or commercial property can be a significantly traumatic event. As a local provider of fire & smoke restoration services, we at SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann have assisted in the cleanup of fire damage resulting from a variety of different causes. Here are a few of the leading causes of house fires according to the National Fire Protection Association:
- Cooking Fires-Specifically, unattended cooking. Be sure to check the items you're cooking regularly, keep any items that could catch fire away from the stove top or open flame, and stay alert: if you're sleep or have consumed alcohol, do not use stove or stove top.
- Heating Related Fires- Be sure to check out our other blogs regarding home heating safety. Half of home heating fires take place during December, January, and February.
- Electrical Fires- May is National Electrical Safety Month which is meant to raise awareness of potential home electrical hazards and the importance of electrical safety as well as the safety of electrical workers.
- Smoking Related Fires- In 2014, it was reported that smoking materials such as cigarettes, cigars, and pipes caused over 17,000 structure fires in the United States.
- Candle Related Fires- There were reportedly over 7,600 home related structure fires in the U.S. between 2014-2018. On average, 21 home candle fires are reported each day.
For more information regarding causes and prevention of home structure fires, be sure to visit the website of the National Fire Prevention Association.
For 24/7 assistance with fire or smoke damage restoration, be sure to contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann (978)927-8665. Making fire and smoke damage "Like it never even happened."