HIDE & SEEK!!
As a homeowner, one of the scariest, stomach-dropping things that can come up is the dreaded “M” word. No, not your mortgage, but MOLD! The thought of mold growth may terrify you. Mold is found both indoors and outdoors. Mold can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, and pets can and be carried indoors.
When mold spores drop on places where there is excessive moisture, such as where leakage may have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or where there has been flooding, they will grow.
Many building materials provide suitable nutrients that encourage mold to grow. Wet cellulose materials, including paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products, are particularly conducive for the growth of some molds. Other materials such as dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery, commonly support mold growth.
Here is what the Professionals at SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann can tell you about dealing with mold in your home:
- It is everywhere, mold already exists in your home. This doesn't mean you need to call in a remediation team right now, but it does mean that the spores naturally occur both indoors and outdoors. You can never have a mold free house because the spores are always around.
- It requires water. While the spores may be everywhere, mold cannot thrive in every location; water is a key ingredient for mold survival. If you have been dealing with a moisture problem in your house, or even just high humidity, you may be inviting colonies of mold.
- It can travel easily. Part of the reason spores can be everywhere is because they travel through water, in the air and on humans and animals. You may introduce mold to your home without realizing that a few spores caught a ride on your shoe.
- It may have a smell. Some molds, particularly black mold, are associated with a musty odor. This aroma may be what clues you into your growth. However, this fungus can exist without a tell-tale smell.
- It needs to be dealt with quickly because mold is everywhere and can be spread easily, SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann should be called in right away if you suspect the growth in your home or business.
Call SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann (978) 927-8665